Ways to Celebrate Pastor Appreciation
Have you ever thought about how much our Pastors do? Scripture says they are called to: teach the Word of God, pray, shepherd, disciple, make disciples, counsel, evangelize, administrate, and resolving conflict. Then when you add to that list: weddings and funerals, community service, and visits to members and guests of your church, they probably have a work load of at least 60+ hours a week, not including the fact that they are on call 24/7.
In our recent Pastor Appreciation Challenge, I asked you to share your ideas of ways to express your love and gratitude for all they do. Below is a list of responses, including many great gift ideas.
Ways To Show Pastor Appreciation Every Day
1. Communicate: Pastors need affirmation just like everyone. Let them know when a sermon really hits home, how much you appreciate all they do to minister to your children or youth, lead worship, and all the many ways they serve both in church and in the community.
2. Serve: Where no doubt pastors are called to many areas of responsibility, we are also called to serve. We are part of the body, gifted to care for one another. When we do our part by leading a Bible study or caring for children, ushering, greeting, etc… the role of pastor is much more rewarding. And so is being a servant leader.
3. Respect: Honor your pastor by respecting him/her. Speak highly of them and encourage others to do the same. Demonstrate that respect by being a blessing to your pastors at every opportunity.
4. Encourage: On a regular basis, write a thank you note or email to your pastors for all they do. Send a thoughtful card. Purchase a gift. Or post a note of encouragement on their Facebook page or the page of your church. Doing so publicly is an added blessing to them.
5. Support: We can support our pastors by keeping them in our prayers. Make prayer for your pastor a regular part of your daily quite time. For ideas of how to pray, here’s a prayer guide you can use. http://www.gpprayer.net/blog/2011/09/colossians-prayer-guide-my-pastor
- Heartfelt cards
- Handwritten notes of appreciation
- Movie tickets
- Restaurant gift card
- Framed art
- Gift bag filled with a variety of surprises
- Magazine subscription
- Department store gift card
- Tickets to a local sporting event or concert
- CD of a favorite singer or band
- Gift certificate for a weekend B&B getaway
- Bookstore gift card
- Gift certificate for a manicure or massage
- Tickets to a play
- Basket of homemade baked goods
- Additional gift ideas on our resource page at http://www.gpprayer.net/resources
Gifts of Service
- Invite them to dinner
- Offer to babysit
- Mow their grass
- Rake leaves
- Cater a home cooked meal
- If you’re a mechanic, offer a free tune-up or tire rotation
- If you’re a handyman, offer to take care of a needed repair
And whatever you do, don’t do this:
- Tell them what to preach or what songs you want to hear
- Complain before a worship service
- Gossip about them
- Offer to help update their resume :)
All kidding aside, let me just add that whatever you do, do it with love, the love of Christ that is in you. Be a blessing as often as you can. Refresh others and you too will be refreshed. Proverbs 11:25
Copyright © 2011 Grand Prairie Prayer Net